|Title||Beautifully framed historical photo of the 1878 Sheriff’s Residence and 1868 County Courthouse|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Scope & Content||
The text under the picture reads: Delaware County Jail and Courthouse
In 1876 the jail pictured above was built on the Northeast corner of Central Avenue and Franklin Street. This was the county’s fourth jail and it had all the modern inventions and improvements of ironclad cells and burglar-proof doors. This jail was used through the 1980’s. This building also housed the elected Sheriff and his family for many years in the front part of the building.
History of the first three Jails in Delaware County
In 1807, Delaware County began building its first public jail. It was 12’ by 40’ and constructed of oak logs. The building was finished in 1809. The county’s second jail was built of stone and completed and ready for occupancy in January of 1814. Solomon Agard was the jailer and the jail adjoined his residence. Prior to 1850 another jail was built that served the county as a prison until the erection of the county’s fourth more elegant jail pictured here.