Birthplace of President Rutherford B Hayes (currently 17 E William St) where the BP gas Station stands. Rutherford Birchard Hayes was born October 4, 1822 in Delaware, Ohio, in a house which stood on East William Street across from the Delaware Qazette building. According to references, the front of this house was made of brick, and the rear was of frame construction. This building was situated on the site of the present Sohio filling station; it is believed the house was torn down in about 1930. "The interior woodwork was of cherry and walnut. It was furnished with Eastern loomed carpet, parlor draperies, glass for light and freshly whitewashed walls. There were many fruit and shade trees on the large lot. The Delaware City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected a bronze tablet at this birthplace site which is presently owned by the Standard Oil Co. It bears the inscription: "This tablet marks the birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes, Nineteenth President of the United States. Born October 4, 1822." Placed by the Delaware City Chapter of Daughters if American Revolution. 1926." (Quoted material from The Delaware Qazette.) Rutherford Hayes and his wife, Sophia, came to Delaware from Vermont in 1817. He died in 1822, the sane year in which his son Rutherford B. Hayes, was born, leaving his widow and three children and a large unsettled business. Mrs. Hayes' brother, Sardis Birchard, being very close to the family, helped settle the estate and took care of the family as if it were his own. When the future president was five years old, the family moved to Fremont, Ohio, where Sardis became a marchant. At the time of their move, the town was called Lower Sandusky. From 1827 on, this was the home of R. B. Hayes. (This information was taken from Howe's "Historical Collections of Ohio", Vol. 1, published in 1902 by Krehbiel & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, and from newspaper clippings in the possession of Robert B. Powers.) The following is taken from: "History of Sandusky County, Ohio", author and publisher unknown. Sardis, or Cyrus, Birchard was hired in 1817 to drive hogs from Delaware to Camp Ball (now Tiffin, Ohio) to supply the early settlers there. His companion on this expedition was Benjamin Powers, a Delaware. At Fort Ball they net Erastus Bowe; in 1824 these three, Birchard, Bowe and Powers, traveled to Fremont and drove hogs to Baltimore, Md. While on this expedition they had difficulty getting the hogs across a river and were assisted by a tall distinguished gentleman. Later they learned that this gentlemen was Gen. Jackson on his way to Washington after the presidential election of 1824.