|Title||Residence built in 1880 of Hon. J. D. van Deman North Main Street - Delaware|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
VanDeman, J. D.
|Place||Ohio/Delaware County/City of Delaware/Sandusky Street/North/339|
Residence built in 1880 of Hon. J. D. VanDeman North Main Street - Delaware
This house, now the home of Mr. George M. Wolfe, an offficer of the Sunray Stove Co., is placed in a beautiful setting. It is a fine example of the brick homes built about one hundred years ago and has much the same appearance as when the VanDeman family occupied it. Mrs. James Capehart daughter of John VanDeman, told the writer that her father wished to use only butternet wood for the interior woodwork. It was only after a long search that he found enough of this wood in Toledo, Ohio. The wood was stored in a brick barn on the property and a fire was maintained in the lower part of the barn all winter long while the wood was "seasoned". Mr David Dankel, considered one of the best caroenters in this area ar that time, helped prepare and finish the wood. John VanDeman was born in Delaware, February 12, 1832, in the family homestead on Central Ave. He attendend Mrs. Murray's private school and graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1851. He was a lieutenant in the 145th United States Infantry in the Civil War. In 1861 he married Lydia Runkle, daughter of Judge R. E. Runkle of Logan county Ohio. Three children were born to them: Ralph, who becane a captain on the general staff of the United States Army; Mildred, who lived at home, and Ennalla, who married James E. Capehart. Mr. John VanDeman was member of St. Peter's Church in Delaware and of the Masonic order. During his lifetime he held many positions of trust and prominence. He was associated with Judge Thomas Watkins Powell in 1858 in the practice of law.
|Subjects||Houses -- Ohio -- Delaware|
|Photographer||W. B. Kimball|