|Title||Homes of H J McCullough and J H Grove on W Winter Street - Delaware|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
McCullough, Harvey J.
Grove, John H., Professor
|Place||Ohio/Delaware County/City of Delaware/Winter Street/West/151,161|
Residences of H J McCullough and J H Grove 161 and 151 W Winter St.
The house to the far left was the home of John H. Grove, a Professor at Ohio Wesleyan.
It is situated at the southeast corner of Winter and Catherine Streets. On the southwest corner is the house which was the residence of the McCullough family. This picture does not clearly show Catherine St. which now runs between the two houses.
The Grove family came to Delaware from Union County, Ohio. John H. Grove graduated from Ohio Wesleyan in 1870. In 1890 he was head of the Latin department, having been a professor in that department. His biographer says, "He was principal of the Preparatory Department and a man of many duties. He taught not only with vigor, but at times with what seemed ferocity."
Living in this house at the time were: Prof. Grove, his wife Harriet (Pine) Grove, their three children, Ruth, Henry and Robert; Mrs. Grove's single brother who was a teacher at the college; and Prof. Grove's two single sisters, Eliza and Anna. Prof. Grove's sisters were teachers, and Eliza was principal of the Delaware City High School for many years
This house is now the Chi Omega Sorority house and has been enlarged a bit to allow for an apartment at the rear.
In about 1850, this land was owned by Mrs. George Campbell. She lived in the building which is now the Lyon Art Hall at the head of Winter St. She gave this land to the city, naming Catherine and Elizabeth streets after her two daughters. Mrs. Campbell, whose maiden name was Woods, came from Maysville, Ky. Her family were Episcopalian and it was she who gave St. Peter's Episcopal Church the land on which their rectory was built.
It was also the home of Mr. and Mrs. Rex Sprague.
For a time it was a sorority house.
This view appeared in the 1875 Delaware County Atlas.
|Subjects||Home built in 1880|