|Title||View from Central Avenue bridge showing the dam|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Place||Ohio/Delaware County/CIty of Delaware/Central Avenue/East|
View from Central Ave bridge looking up the River.This dam supplied water to Edward Snyder's Flour Mill to operate the water wheel.
Research shows this dam to be located on the Olentangy River in the City of Delaware on the 1833 and the 1890 maps of Delaware, Ohio. County histories attribute the construction of a wooden dam about 1822 by Col. Byxby to provide water power for a sawmill, which was located at the dam and a gristmill, which used the same mill race and was south of the sawmill. In the January 17, 1884 Delaware Gazette, it was reported that the old time stone mill has had its day and it gave way under pressure to the complete roller system. In 1884, the mill was owned by Mr. E. Snyder, a popular merchant miller.
In the early 1890s the river was rerouted to provide space to lay the tracks for the Pennsylvania Railroad between the river and North Union Street. The Pennsylvania RR first ran through Delaware on April 15th, 1893. In the early 1960s, the Olentangy River was rerouted so that the U.S. route 23 bypass could be located in this area.
|Subjects||Home built in 1880|