|Title||"Jerk" On the "High Bridge"|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Place||Ohio/Delaware County/City of Delaware|
The locomotive, nicknamed the "Jerk", is crossing the "High Bridge" with a passenger train, heading for the Lake Street depot completing a trip that probably started in Springfield.
The 4-4-0 wheel arrangement was the most common during the last half of the 1,800's. The rail line it is traveling on was originally built as the Springfield, Delaware & Mt. Vernon Railroad. The bridge in this picture was built in 1853 and the railroad was completed in 1854. It was never completed beyond its connection with the Cleveland & Columbus Railroad on the east side of Delaware. Due to financial problems it was purchased by the Cleveland and Columbus Railroad in January, 1862. The Cleveland & Columbus later became part of the Big Four Railway, then the New York Central, Conrail, and now CSX.
The William Street covered bridge over the Olentangy, which is in the background, was built in 1854. About 1903, the metal bridge, which collapsed in the 1913 flood, was built to replace the covered bridge. This picture was taken from the south side of the high bridge looking north. The railroad under the bridge was originally built as the Columbus & Sandusky Short Line Railroad with service starting in April of 1893. Later it was consolidated with The Columbus, Sandusky & Hocking Railroad and took on that name. Financial problems caused the line to go through receivership four times. The Pennsylvania System purchased the line in November, 1902. The line through Delaware was heavily damaged in the flood of 1913, including the loss of its bridge crossing the Olentangy River just south of Delaware
|Print size||3-3/4" x 4-1/2"|